Thursday, December 15, 2011

OIL WARS: All About Oil Cleansing Method

Hello gorgeous ladies!

Raise your hand if you are depressed and frustrated with your uncontrollable oilies. (Raises my hand too.)
Photo googled! Credits to the owner.
Isn't it just plain annoying when it only takes just an hour or so for super-shine to take over your nicely done makeup? When you look in the mirror, you will find yourself unwantedly glowing at undesirable areas of your face. Worse, you pack on your powder to keep oils at bay, and the result? CAKEY FACE. It just plainly sucks. I know because I'm guilty of that too.
Photo from MakeupGeek.com
I admit I am a certified extra, mega, super oily-skinned person. I always carry with me my oil control film and foundation whenever I go out. I would definitely freak out IF I forget to bring either or both. I am also a sucker for anything that says OIL-FREE: foundations, primers, facial washes, moisturizers, and many more. It's because I used to (and still do) believe that if it's oil-free then it wouldn't add up to the oiliness of my face. So, what happens is I am still the same shiny-faced person. Whatever I apply to my face won't change anything, they just won't add up to the oiliness. That's it.

So I thought I might as well find something that manages my overactive oil glands. As always, I googled for shine solutions using my trusty laptop. And I found a lot of homemade masks - from honey to clay, from yoghurt to oil. Wait, did I read it right? OIL??
Photo googled. Credits to the owner.
OIL. It definitely made me curious. How can oil clear up your own oil? Don't you think it's just redundant to put oil on your already oily face? Despite me being mixed up by the idea, I continued to read on.

Oil dissolves oil. It scientifically true. I remembered about this during high school Chemistry class. Oil, a hydrophilic, is composed of non-polar molecules and only binds with non-polar molecules. Water is made of polar molecules, thus water and oil can not be mixed together. Yada.. yada.. yada.

Upon recollecting the fact that like dissolves like, I became interested with the thought that this MIGHT be the solution to my unwanted super shine!

OIL CLEANSING METHOD (OCM)
It is a skin care process by which natural oils are used to clean the face. Castor oil (primary) and olive oil are usually used in this method. 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 250 ml - Php 125 at supermarkets
Castor Oil 100 ml - Php 100 at drugstores
Australian Emu Oil 100ml - Php 800 bought online.
Castor oil is known to have anti-inflammatory and purgative effects.But since castor oil is so thick and its cleansing properties so strong, it needs to be diluted with another oil with thinner consistency but still is good to the skin. In my case, I use extra virgin olive oil or EVOO. It is one of the most commonly used oil on the face because it is rich in antioxidants and is also a good moisturizer. Jojoba and sunflower oils are also common alternatives to EVOO due to their good effects. Aside from EVOO, I also add emu oil to the concoction since it has a lot of benefits to to our body. 

STEPS
First, create a mixture of 3 parts EVOO, 6 parts castor oil, and 1 parts oil and place in the mixture in an airtight container. (Small pump bottle may be used for easy dispensing.) I usually make an amount that lasts for a week.

When it's OCM time, prepare a soft towel dipped in hot water. Make sure the temperature is just enough for the face to tolerate. Smooth the oil mixture on the face. Massage your face in upward, outward motion to promote blood circulation. Place the soaked towel on the face until it cools. This will open up your pores allowing the castor oils to bring out makeup, dirt, and grime. Once cooled. use the same towel to wipe off the excess oils on your face. No need to rinse afterwards. The leftover oils will serve as moisturizer.

The following day, you will notice your skin to be soft, smooth and dewy. Not greasy.

RESULTS
I have only tried this method for a week on an every other day basis and I can see positive results. I am not that greasy anymore. My face is soft to touch. My pimples have dried out. I still get occasional bumps but it's not that much anymore. It's just amazing! I am a believer. I definitely recommend this to every lady (and gents) out there who suffers from extreme greasiness. :)

Note: Always do an allergy test prior to application. It is best to do the method 2-3 times a week at night time only. For dry and combi skin, just lower the amount of castor oil and add more of EVOO or other oils. Remember, there's no right formula. It's just a matter of preference.

I am sure you have heard about Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils. This is basically the same with Shu. Only cheaper. So, are you willing to give OCM a try?

Thank you for reading! I'll see you in my next post.

Ongoing Jumpstart Giveaway: Click here for deets!

No comments:

Post a Comment